The 2018 SMFS Foremothers Fellowship
The Society for Medieval Feminist Scholarship invites applications for the 2018 Foremothers Fellowship. Funded through the generous gift of royalties from the editors and authors of theOxford Handbook of Women and Gender in Medieval Europe (Judith Bennett and Ruth Mazo Karras), the grant provides $2,000 for a current doctoral candidate (at the time of the proposed project) to undertake a significant professional development initiative. The winner will be partnered with a senior medieval scholar whose guidance and association can assist the student in developing and executing the project.
Such projects might include:
- Travel to a conference relevant to medieval feminist scholarship
- Travel to visit archives, research libraries, museums, manuscript collections, or archeological or architectural sites
- Travel to conduct other forms of on-site research
- Development of a digital humanities project related to feminist research
- Organizing a medieval feminist conference or colloquium
- Travel to allow sustained work with a mentor
SMFS is especially interested in assisting students who have demonstrated a financial need and whose projects are not otherwise funded. The winner must be willing to write a reflective report describing the outcome of the project. This report will appear on the SMFS public website.
Applicants should provide: a completed application form, a 500-word description of the project including its scope and development, a proposed timeline, and a detailed budget, including a break-down of projected costs. The application form can be found on the SMFS website at http://smfsweb.org/
Application Deadline: Sept. 15, 2017
The winner will be announced by: October 15, 2017
Email applications to Dr. Nicole Nolan Sidhu: email@example.com